**BRAND NEW** Vaccine Newly Available for 2022.
– Licensed for age 50+ Or 18+ at increased risk of shingles
– non live vaccine as an alternative to zostvax
– can be given to immunocompromised patients
– 2 doses with a 2 month gap (2-6months)
– IM injection into deltoid (arm)
– able to give at same time as inactivated flu vaccine
– preferable to allow a 7 day gap with other vaccines. Increased fever if given with pneumococcal
– must leave a 7 day gap between covid and shingles vaccination
– Side effects – pain at injection site, aches, fatigue, headache – for 1-2 days
– efficacy of zostavax – reduced incidence of shingles by 51% aged 60 and 38% aged 70.
– efficacy of shingrix – 97.2% >50yrs and 91.2%>70yrs
– if shingrix schedule interrupted or delayed it should be resumed and first dose should not be repeated.